Sunday, October 14, 2007

Wild Thorns

I thought the book was great. It really showed the different impacts the war had on the different characters in the book. I thought it was crazy how concerned Usama was about everything, described on the ride to Nablus, only to arrive in a town where lifestyles had changed and people were almost oblivious to living under military rule.

The part in which I felt the truth really came out about the changes that had taken place was when Usama had spoken with the old man at the farm. Usama tries to get him to remember who he was, and asks about his cousin Adil who had worked there, and it all seems foreign to the man. I thought that showed how so much had changed that someone would seem as if they had been brainwashed with that thing Tommy Lee Jones uses in Men In Black.

At first, I found it a bit strange the way each chapter started, then I realized the impact it gave later. As each chapter ended, the next one began in a completely new setting with a completely new event taking place. Eventually I liked the way it jumped from story to story in a rather rapid manner, greatly emphasizing the number of issues and hardships these people went through living under such intimidating conditions.

Also, I found this interesting picture:

1 comment:

Frankie E. Velazquez said...

I really liked the part with the old man on the farm as well, it really did seem as though he had been brainwashed. I liked how the chapters started too, it gave the book a good flow which made it really easy to just keep reading non-stop.