Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Koran Readings

I wish I could say that I found some similarities between the Koran readings and the Bible, but I can't. My knowledge of religion to this day goes no further than Jesus was born on Christmas, and resurrected on Easter. Yes, I grew up Catholic.

One thing I did see was the idea of punishment for sinning, which is a pretty basic concept and seemingly universal across all religions. This line sort of explained the fate of the nonbelievers (From the second reading):
"SHAKIR: (As for) those who disbelieve, surely neither their wealth nor their children shall avail them in the least against Allah, and these it is who are the fuel of the fire."
In this second reading it came off as a rundown of guidelines and rules to follow and the consequences for not doing so. That seemed to be pointed out a few times, like the first quote:
"SHAKIR: Say to those who disbelieve: You shall be vanquished, and driven together to hell; and evil is the resting-place."

Now the first story reminded me of the little I know about the Bible. A woman having a child that had never been "unchaste." Relating to Jesus's birth and later, resurrection:
"SHAKIR: And peace on him on the day he was born, and on the day he dies, and on the day he is raised to life"

1 comment:

Allen Webb said...

Thanks for the Simpson Christmas!