Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Othello/S'Moors

OTHELLO

Unfortunate at the time, I lived with a theater major last year who was in WMU's production of Othello. He felt it beneficial to keep me awake all night reading lines with him, and not a more enthusiastically qualified insomniac such as himself. Long story short I was familiar with the play in the same way that Taco Bell is healthy for you.

Othello first reminded me of Spiderman; a lover-boy adored by the citizens, but despised by Jonah Jameson and Harry Osborn (in our case, Barbantio and Iago). Yet when dispute is at hand, he's picked to lead the battle.

Iago and Roderigo are two very distinct characters. Iago seems to have Roderigo "by the hair" being that he has the undeniable ability to control Roderigo, and eventually, Cassio. Iago spews rumors about Desdemona, resulting in a fact-less fight between Cassio and Roderigo...Much like any drama queen...on any reality TV show...ever.

THE MOORS



When I heard the term "Moor," I didn't have the slightest idea what it meant. I know there's a certain cliff range on the coast of Ireland with a similar name, but not even close. I found this site:
http://www.mrdowling.com/703-moors.html

2 comments:

Patricia Schultz said...

Othello = Spiderman?
Well, I've never heard that one before. I do like it, though.

Diane said...

I like the Spiderman comparison also. You can even throw Mary Jane into it and have be similar to Desdemona. It seems so often that modern entertainment has some similarities to Shakespeare in one way or another.